Saturday, June 4, 2011

10A: Freak Factor

Freak Factor Manifesto


The Freak Factor is an article about how no one is truly a freak.  We all have strengths, weaknesses and passions.  The author, David Rendall, discusses how people in our society have grown up with this fallacy that you should be the most well rounded person possible.  Everyone should fix his or her weaknesses.  Rendall argues this saying that it is impossible for everyone to “fix” all of his or her weaknesses, you simply must just play to your strengths.
The three suggestions that I found most interesting included 1,2 and 3.

1.)  What’s your problem?
In this Rendall means, what are your weaknesses?  Weaknesses are viewed as problems.  If someone is given the option to either a.) Fix weaknesses b.) Build on strengths or c.) Do both, most people would pick to do both.  Choosing option C helps a person become the “well rounded” individual that our society pushes everyone to be.   We are al not meant to be perfect at everything.  We are meant to have flaws, because they make us unique and they make us who we are.  I found this suggestion extremely insightful, because I was one of those people who believed that having a flaw or a weakness was bad and that I should do my best to fix it.  Now I know that my flaws and weaknesses make me the “freak” that I am.  They make me Morgan.

2.)  What’s my problem?

This discussion talks about that fact that if you have a weakness there is nothing wrong with you.  Having flaws is inevitable, because no one is meant to be good at absolutely everything.  Rendall discusses his weaknesses and how he used to believe that he had to fix every single one of them.  He realized that he didn’t need to do this and then just simply build on his strengths.  His words of advice were 1.) There is nothing wrong with you, 2.) You find success when you find the right fit, and 3.) Your weaknesses make you different.  All my life my I have thought that in order to become a better person, I need to fix my weakness of being unorganized.  Now I know that it is ok to have flaws.  I can use my anti-organizational skills to my benefit in the jobs that I take on in the future.

3.)  Flawless: There’s Nothing Wrong With You
This discussion of Rendall’s talks about how our strengths and our weaknesses go hand in hand but shouldn’t be viewed as a bad thing.  If you are creative you aren’t organized.  If you are passionate then you are impatient.  All of these strengths and weaknesses go together and they help make you the unique person that you are.  I am enthusiastic therefore I am obnoxious.  I am creative therefore I am unorganized.  And my personal favorite, I am reflective therefore I am shy.  Personally, I tend to over think EVERYTHING.  I reflect on events that have happened to me and think them to death.  “If I had done this instead, would this have happened?  If I had said this instead of that, would he/she reacted a different way?”  People tend to think that I am shy because I am not the most outgoing person, but in actuality I am over thinking what to say to a person so as a result I am not saying anything at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment